4th floor – 101 Noons Creek Drive, Port Moody, BC
Crossroads Hospice Society’s dedicated team of staff and volunteers is passionate about hospice care and bereavement support. The heart of hospice is meeting the emotional, physical and spiritual needs of the terminally ill. Crossroads Hospice Society has been providing compassionate care and support for those facing advanced illness, death and bereavement for 30 years.
Reporting to the Hospice Manager, Cooks are responsible for menu planning, ordering food supplies as required, food preparation, kitchen cleanliness and general housekeeping, and supporting patients and their families. The successful applicant must enjoy being in contact with the public as well as maintaining a co-operative, efficient, working relationship with other staff and immediate co-workers and volunteers.
Week 1 – Thursday, Friday and Saturday 2pm-6pm – 4 hr shifts (12 hrs per week)
Week 2 – Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 2pm-6pm – 4 hr shifts (16 hrs per week)
Additional hours may be available due to staff vacation, sick days, etc.
Start Date: Immediately
Duties and Responsibilities
Typical duties include:
- Preparing patient meals, including special diets, and serving meals as needed
- Preparing food for special occasions
- Doing all necessary baking
- Preparing weekly menus as needed
- Maintaining required Health Standards in food preparations and cleanliness
- Washing, drying, and putting away all dishes, pots and pans used in preparation of meals and baking
- Maintaining an ongoing inventory of food supplies and household supplies which pertain to the kitchen
- Ordering food supplies and submitting bills as needed; checking for quality of food delivered
- Cleaning and sanitizing kitchen area, dishes, and equipment
- Organizing and cleaning pantries, food storage areas
- Reporting defective equipment
- Specified general housekeeping duties and performing other related work as required.
Qualifications and Requirements
The successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- High School Diploma
- Previous experience in the healthcare environment an asset
- At least 1 year of experience as a cook would be ideal
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- WHMIS certification
- Demonstrated interpersonal, teamwork and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and multitask
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Moderate physical fitness level required
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Possessing an understanding and acceptance of hospice philosophy
- Maintaining confidentiality of all patient/family and personnel information as per Society and Fraser Health Authority’s confidentiality regulations
- Performing duties in an efficient and effective manner while maintaining the spirit, dignity and individual needs of patients, families and guests.
- Food Safe Certificate (Required)
- BC Driver’s License (Preferred)
A satisfactory Criminal Record Check is a condition of employment.
The successful applicant will be required to provide Proof of Immunizations and Tuberculosis Screening Test results.
Crossroads Hospice Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter attn: Sylvie Jensen, Hospice Manager to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be interviewed on an ongoing basis until a successful candidate is found. Casual positions are also available.