2780 Barnet Hwy, Coquitlam, BC
The Assistant Thrift Store Manager reports directly to the Thrift Store Manager. Working in a co-operative team environment, they will coordinate, guide and direct volunteer activity to ensure store financial targets are met, operation and procedure guidelines are followed, as well as integrate the vision, mission and values of Crossroads Hospice Society into the workplace.
Duties and Responsibilities
General Store Operations:
- Cross-trains and is proficient and able to train others in all areas of the store such as, but not limited to, store opening and closing, cashiering/daily cash out/bank deposit, petty cash, answering telephone inquiries, volunteer recruitment, scheduling and supervision, customer issues, and back of store tasks
- Assists in overseeing various daily operations of the store as required
- Primarily responsible, in consultation with the manager, for the successful operations of the “back of store” activities, specifically, donation intake, sorting, pricing, storage and rotation, recycling, repurposing and redirecting efforts
- Ensures store area is clean, presentable and safe
- Ensures the outside of store (i.e. parking lot area) is clean and free of hazards
- Follows all safety guidelines and procedures to ensure a safe work environment
- Advises Store Manager on and takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, customer, donor or the organization at risk.
- Empties, secures and monitors waste, recycling and donations at the end of each day as needed
- Provides quality service to customers, donors and volunteers.
- Works with volunteers using a thoughtful, hands-on approach, along with current operational directives, to provide guidance regarding donation intake, inventory control, sorting practices, pricing, culling, product placement and customer service
- Assists with training, supervising, delegating, motivating and appreciation of volunteers
- Represents the Society in a professional and courteous manner at all times
- Attends and participates in Society training programs and meetings as assigned and/or directed.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in the use of word processing, databases, spreadsheets, e-mail, social media, presentations, in particular Microsoft Office
- Valid BC Driver’s License and access to use of a reliable vehicle
- Retail or Thrift Store experience. (Exposure to an online retail environment is ideal)
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Problem solving and resolution skills with individuals and groups
- Needs physical strengths to be able to lift, stand, reach, climb, balance, and be on their feet for extended periods of time.
- To perform the tasks associated with this position, the employee will be required to sit, stand, walk, lift, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl for extended periods of time.
- Needs to be able to lift 60 pounds
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to moving vehicles.
- Working floor surface is cement or linoleum on cement.
Please send your resume and cover letter attn: Dodie McFarlane, Acting Thrift Store Manager to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be interviewed on an ongoing basis until a successful candidate is found.